Jessica L. Olson
Jessica Olson is a partner at the Ayres Law Group LLP and practices all aspects of environmental law, with a particular focus on clean air and climate law. Ms. Olson has significant experience representing and counseling private and public clients in a variety of environmental law and policy matters.
Ms. Olson’s experience includes federal district court and appellate litigation, mainly in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court. Many of the cases she has been involved in have resulted in landmark decisions. Ms. Olson also advises clients on complex EPA regulations, such as the Clean Power Plan, motor vehicle emissions and fuel content requirements, and greenhouse gas reporting requirements. Her regulatory work includes advising clients with respect to the stratospheric ozone protection provisions of the Clean Air Act. Ms. Olson is an expert on climate policy and has drafted and presented to Congress proposals for climate and energy legislation.
Ms. Olson’s practice also includes advising clients on the development of carbon offset projects and counsel in areas of international air policy such as the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, the Montreal Protocol, MARPOL and Chinese air pollution law.
Prior to joining Ayres Law Group, Ms. Olson assisted attorneys at the U.S. Department of Justice in the Environment and Natural Resources Division, Law and Policy Section by drafting appellate briefs and conducting research on enforcement progress during a semester in practice. She also worked for former Senator James M. Jeffords (I-Vt.).
Ms. Olson received her law degree in 2007 from Vermont Law School, where she was an Articles Editor for the Vermont Journal of Environmental Law and an elected member of the Student Bar Association. She obtained her undergraduate degree in Science, Technology and Society from Vassar College in 2004.
Bar Memberships & Court Admissions
- Virginia, 2007
- District of Columbia, 2008
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 2007
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, 2010
- United States Supreme Court, 2014
- American Bar Association, Environment, Energy, and Resources Section, member
- Environmental Law Institute, member
- D.C. Bar Energy, Environment and Natural Resources Section, Steering Committee (2014-2015), Air Quality Committee, chair (2014-present)
- D.C. Vermont Law School Alumni Association, President (2012-2013), Vice President (2010-2011), Board member (2007-2009, 2014)
- Vermont Law School Alumni Association, Board member (2015-present)
- Arlington County Fiscal Affairs Advisory Commission, appointed member (2015-present)
- Richard Ayres & Jessica (Biamonte) Olson, “The New Federalism: States Take a Leading Role in Clean Air,” Natural Resources and Environment American Bar Ass’n (Fall 2008).
- Richard Ayres & Jessica (Biamonte) Olson, “Setting National Ambient Air Quality Standards,” Chapter 2 in Martineau and Novello, eds., Clean Air Act Handbook 3d Ed., American Bar Association, (2011).
- Jessica Biamonte & Robert Olson, “New Global Agenda: An Analysis of Major Overview Studies of the Global Environment,” a White Paper prepared for Foresight and Governance Project, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, Washington: Institute for Alternative Futures (August 2004).